What are Cookies and why do I use them on the SilverHare website?
Cookies are small text files that are placed on the hard drive of your computer or phone. They save and retrieve pieces of information about your visit to the website – for example, how you entered the site, how you navigated through the site and what information and documentation was of interest to you.
They can be totally innocuous and essential to the effective running of websites (as explained above), or they can be used for tracking an individual across the internet to allow advertising to be tailored to them. It is this second kind that the EU Cookie Directive wants to restrict and allow you to understand better.
The cookies on this website help in the following ways:
- Make the website work as you’d expect
- Save you having to log in every time you visit the site
- Remember your settings during and between visits
- Improve the speed/security of the site
- Allow you to share pages with social networks like Facebook
- Personalise the website to you to help you get what you need faster
- Continuously improve my website for you
- Make my marketing more efficient and personal to you
- Collect any personally identifiable information (without your express permission)
- Collect any sensitive information (without your express permission)
- Pass personally identifiable data to third parties
You can learn more about all the cookies I use below
Turning off and deleting Cookies
You can usually switch cookies off by adjusting your browser settings to stop it from accepting cookies. Learn how here. Doing so, however, will likely limit the functionality of this website.
It may be that your concerns around cookies relate to so called “spyware”. Rather than switching off cookies in your browser you may find that anti-spyware software achieves the same objective by automatically deleting cookies considered to be invasive. Learn more about managing cookies with antispyware software here.
To find out more about cookies, including seeing what cookies have been set and how to manage and delete them, visit www.allaboutcookies.org
More about the Cookies on this website
Website Function Cookies
My own cookies
- Making the shopping basket and checkout work
- Determining if you are logged in or not
- Remembering your search settings
- Remembering if you have accepted my terms and conditions
- Allowing you to add comments such as product reviews to the website
- Tailoring content to your needs
- Remembering your preferences such as colours, text size and layout
- Remembering if I have already asked you certain questions (e.g. you declined to sign up to the newsletter)
There is no way to prevent these cookies being set other than to not use this website.
Third party functions
- Google Maps
- Other embedded content
Disabling these cookies will likely break the functions offered by these third parties
Social Website Cookies
I have included sharing buttons on the website so you can easily “Like” or share my content on Facebook and Twitter.
The privacy implications on this will vary from social network to social network and will be dependent on the privacy settings you have chosen on these networks.
Anonymous Visitor Statistics Cookies
This website uses Google Analytics. You can opt-out of being tracked by Google Analytics here. However, I’d prefer you didn’t as this data is seriously helpful to me in improving my website.